I’m still procrastinating on carving the seat for my shave horse, and it’s still productive as I’m getting lots of things done. I might mess up the seat blank this weekend. :-)
A long, long time ago (eight years ago), I made a miter saw station.
I’d always intended to add a fence, ideally with a stop block system to cut multiple parts to the same length, with a tape measure to easily set the length.
I recently figured out the cabinets I’ll build on either side of the miter saw, and began working on them. So it was time to make the fence.
I’ve been designing it off and on for the last month or two, and started working on it a couple of weeks ago. I’m happy that today I finished it. The stop blocks ride in grooves in the front of the fence, so they won’t obstruct the drawers of the cabinets that will sit above and behind the fence
The blocks are secured with ‘T’ bolts milled into a ‘T’ slot in the face plywood. There are splines in the block that ride in the slot opening to prevent the block from tipping, and a nice knob to secure them.
A tape measure applied to the top of the fence lets me use a plexiglass cursor (yeah, I had to look that one up) on the top of the block to set a repeatable cut length for parts.
And so my longest-so-far project is complete.
Next come the storage chests that go above and behind the fence. Or maybe I’ll finally try to carve the shave horse seat…